Why join UWAASA?
- UWAASA is the University of Western Australia staff association; as such it is uniquely placed to represent the needs of the academic staff at UWA.
- UWAASA is working to gather information and represent concerns on UWA specific academic issues such as stress and workload, intellectual property, etc.
- UWAASA has the resources to provide a good service to its members.
- While UWAASA acts closely with the NTEU and shares many of its ideals, it is not part of a national organisation and can act independently on UWA-specific issues.
- UWAASA has observer status on the Senate, a nominee on the Academic Promotions and Tenure Committee and the Excellence in Teaching Awards Committee and a representative on the Security & Transport Advisory Committee.
- UWAASA can tackle academic issues which, while very important to our members, are not strictly industrial issues such as the introduction of 6 point units, outcome based education, and other teaching and research matters. UWAASA is also able to lobby on non-industrial issues such as parking.
- The UWAASA committee is made up solely of UWA academics, and is well-placed to represent academic viewpoints.
- A number of UWAASA committee members (including the president) are members of the NTEU UWA branch executive and committee and the NTEU WA Division Council, which enables them to convey academic concerns to that body and in turn to the NTEU executive in Melbourne if necessary.